Saturday, July 23, 2011

お好み焼き ~ 広島スタイル (Okonomiyaki ~ Hiroshima style)

I have decided to make Okonomiyaki (both Osaka and Hiroshima style) for next month's free-tasting menu. haha!

Since I have always been doing Osaka style of Okonomiyaki because it's easier, I realized that I need more practice on Hiroshima style. haha!

So, before "the day" comes, I better have more practices. That's why tonight I decided to have Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki for dinner. I was improvising ingredients, since it's the last minute desire for dinner. haha!

Here is a mini and brief tutorial of Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki. Since it's brief and mini, there is no measurements. haha! I eyed ball everything ^^; Enjoy~!

First, let's make the batter. It has all purpose flour, milk powder and baking powder.


Added dashi stock and water to create the batter.


Batter got to be not too thick nor runny.


Then, create a thin layer of batter on electric skillet pan.


Instead of usual shredded cabbage, which I don't have it tonight, I used shredded lettuce. hehe! I added leftover tuna and anchovies. Top it up with thin slices of pork.



Then, pour a little batter on top.


And flip it over. Yea, I know it's burnt. haha! I was too busy mingling around ^^;;


It's really thick. haha!


Then, at the side of it, cook a pack of yakisoba. Season it with sauce or anything you like. I used yakisoba sauce. Once it's cooked, make a round shape as shown.


Then, transfer the okonomiyaki on top of the yakisoba.


After that, at the side of it, crack an egg and swirled it around creating a thin omelette.


When it's half done, transfer the okonomiyaki on top of the egg.



It's getting thicker! haha! Flip it over again with egg facing up.


Finally, pour okonomiyaki sauce on top. I just love the sizzling sound from the sauce. hehe!


Add mayonnaise on top.


Last but not least, aonori (seaweed powder).


Tada! What do you guys think? Honestly, this is either my first or second time in making Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki. So, I was a bit nervous especially on the endless flipping. LOL! It can get really messy. haha!



Luckily, my brother was home soon after making this and hence I gave half of the Okonomiyaki. I am sharing the calories with him. *Shhhhh* haha!

Hope you have enjoyed my short mini and brief picture tutorial on Okonomiyaki.

Goodnight~!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That looks amazing! :D Thanks for putting up pictures, it's so helpful!

    ReplyDelete